View Single Post
Old 01-05-2009, 11:28 AM   #58
MudMann

Home MUD: Primordiax
Home MUD: Threshold
MudMann will become famous soon enough
Re: In defense of all MUDs. Our genre's noteworthiness is being questioned.

Wow.. Threshold certainly gets proffessional haters doesnt it. The amount of work going into getting one entry deleted is astounding. Wasnt there a whole website of disgruntled ex-threshers once? Never understood it.. found the games to be incredibly friendly.. if a bit over Zelous with IC stuff.

I digress.

Wikipedia to me, amongst other things, is a listing of everything that is out there, and there are numerous entries for computers games. I first played Threshold over a decade ago after finding the link in MUDCONNECTOR. and in my mind it is a part of MUD history. It has the right to have an entry in Wikipedia, alongside other parts of gaming history, and also CURRENT GAMES. The article to me seemed perfectly fine compared to other computer games.

The argument for deletion where overly verbose, but the biggest example of hair splitting I have ever seen. You get rid of Threshold from the wikipedia, you may as well get rid of 50000 other entries. The entry is sufficiently neutral and what I would expect in an encyclopia entry.

The only issues I found with the entry where the notes / external references which all pointed at the homes domain or articles possibly written by Threshold admin

I did a search for the most obscure games of yesteryear.. not all famous or ground breaking, and found most of them (Ranarama was one that jumped into my head.. and there it is).

Why not create create a Thresh wiki, and forget Wikipedia.

However, I am sorry to say, I do NOT see this as an attack on MUD's in general. if this was the case I would expect to see Acheae and other high profile games marked for deletion as well.
MudMann is offline   Reply With Quote