View Single Post
Old 01-27-2010, 12:22 AM   #1
Avasyu

Name: Jeremy
Home MUD: http://www.ironrealms.com
Avasyu is on a distinguished road
Easing the process for new players.

One of the main things we have been trying at IRE is get our games as true newbie friendly as possible. By newbie I mean the player who has never seen or heard or playing a game in text.

Over the past year we have slowly changed our entire process for getting new players. We have pointed our ads to landing pages that allow the user to create a character quickly via a html page. We then auto log them right into our flash client (fMud) and place them into a character creation sequence.

We have begun to 'MXP' the introductory tours of the games (only Imperian currently). This is an effort to guide the new players into the text experiences, teaching them how to play via typing, rather then just clicking. Hopefully it will result in more new players sticking around long enough to get interested.

After the intro the player is prompted to complete 'tasks' which get them doing things in the game right away. As opposed to not really knowing what to 'do next'.

You can see what I mean here:

That page starts the process.

1. Character Create
2. Auto Login
3. Pick Starting Race/Class/ect.
4. Begin the MXP intro.
5. Graduate Intro and begin tasks

So here are my questions.

1. What do you think of the MXPed intro. Too much? Not enough?

2. What other things do you think can be done ease players into the typing/text/mud experience?
Avasyu is offline   Reply With Quote