View Single Post
Old 05-26-2008, 01:59 PM   #11
shadowfyr

shadowfyr will become famous soon enough
Re: custom clients. Good or bad?

Umm, I disagree. People use triggers and macros ***even for MMOs***. I use a program to track my DPS and everything I have killed in EQ2, by reading the data in the log file (annoying, since it would be a lot nicer to read it directly from the data stream in their client). Suggesting that you need to rework the game if people feel the need to use such things is just.... absurd. There will almost always be some things that you want to display in windows that the mud, even with a custom client, won't display they way you want, information the player wants to keep track of that the client/mud doesn't, or tasks that, no matter how well designed, may be easier to assign to a keypress than having to type them all manually. Its not about "requires", its about, "flexibility", and frankly, the ones that laughably try to ban "any" use of them, instead of just nailing the botters when detected, annoy the hell out of me, as do the ones that insist I have to use their client, because doesn't have scripting, or triggers/macros that are worth anything (being too limited).

But it is a catch-22. The more someone can do with you macro, trigger, alias and script system, the more vigilant you have to be at watching for people botting, but at the same time, the happier the user is with the client they use, when employing "allowed" tricks and helpers. And, *almost everyone* is going to find something they wish they could display differently, work out without using pen and paper, or use to help them in a way the existing mud/client won't, as it stands.
shadowfyr is offline   Reply With Quote