View Single Post
Old 04-28-2008, 12:56 PM   #90
Delerak

Name: Dan
Delerak is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Delerak Send a message via AIM to Delerak Send a message via MSN to Delerak Send a message via Yahoo to Delerak
Re: How many muds have permadeath?

It doesn't stop you from staying in-character I totally agree. It aids and helps you to stay in-character in a different manner. A different fashion, it totally remodels your thinking pattern when you're roleplaying a character.
The argument comes down to good roleplaying, which in my opinion encompasses a lot more then just "stay in-character guys". There are personalities, habits, the way your character walks, talks, eats, smiles, all tie into it. The thing that permadeath does is makes you change your decisions completely and makes you roleplay more realistically, rather then roleplaying unrealistically.

An example would be, let's say you have a character with certain traits. One trait of the character is that they don't believe in running away in a fight. On a permdeath mud will you flee if you're about to die or will you stay and die and play out the character even if you know you're going to die? The decision is much easier to make on a non-permdeath mud because you'll simply come back to life. On a permdeath mud it forces you to make a much harder decision and if you make the right decision to stay and die, you've become a much better roleplayer.

I totally agree with your first point. It's a totally different experience, but at the same time it's an unrealistic setting, therefore the core elements of roleplaying get hurt in that environment.

As to your second point, the drama exists everywhere. If you don't think death is dramatic that's fine, but to say that dramatic scenes don't exist is ridiculous. Go read Arms rp logs, they have plenty of drama.

No RP is not RP. It's not the same everywhere, not everybody is going to do it the same. There is no "right" way of course, but there are people out there who have a much different understanding of the aspect of it all, and I have respect the people who do understand these nuances.

Well how do you decide if a roleplay is snert or brilliant? What are the qualifications of a " brilliant" roleplayer. I honestly don't think "It's that simple." There's different kinds of people playing all of these muds and everyone is going to have a different outlook on how to roleplay a certain character, the big difference is at RPI muds the act of roleplaying is compared much more to acting in real life then at any other muds I've ever played, which in my opinion puts them ahead of roleplay muds that don't.

Actions speak louder then words, really all I've got to say on the matter.
Delerak is offline   Reply With Quote