View Single Post
Old 05-28-2013, 11:51 AM   #2
SnowTroll

SnowTroll will become famous soon enough
Re: Looking for a MUD

Discworld, Geas, and I think Dartmud all foster a skill-based system where you can walk around doing lots of non-combat scavenging and crafting tasks if you choose. Discworld is primarily non-RP (though there are people who do roleplay to be found around there if you don't mind sticking to a minority social circle) but there's a crapton of stuff to explore (exploration gives experience, and there are quests everywhere). I think both Geas and Dartmud are more RP-centered. There are half a dozen other muds that have pretty well developed crafting systems if you ask around. Other people can probably help you out with some suggestions. I don't get around as much as I used to.

If you're more into the social side of things, New Worlds has a more traditional level-based system, with combat being the most efficient means to advance, but there are a good number of non-combat things you can do to get money and experience points (including roleplaying in some cases). There are also two non-combat classes that subsist on creating both stock and custom items and providing services to other players. I'm hesitant to say the mud has a very developed crafting system, though. There are only a few items that follow the traditional path of scavenging and converting raw materials to a useful piece of equipment. Many/most crafted items are generated out of thin air, and are primarily useful as roleplaying props. Crafting there is more about being a good writer and churning out attractive item descriptions.
SnowTroll is offline   Reply With Quote