View Single Post
Old 09-09-2010, 10:46 PM   #59
prof1515

prof1515 will become famous soon enoughprof1515 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to prof1515 Send a message via Yahoo to prof1515
Re: Veterans of Roleplay Intensive MUDs

I'm not sure about a decline in players. I have noted over the years a decline in the number of players who matched the quality of those from years past.

Technically speaking, a game which is just starting can't experience a decline in players since they have no past from which to draw data. SoI probably experienced the fastest boom of players that I ever saw from any RPI, exceeding its code-parent MUD, Harshlands, in playerbase within months of opening. That was probably due to several factors not the least of which was that SoI is Tolkien-based and debuted at a time when the LOTR films were fresh on people's minds but also because it had numerous new code features never seen in RPIs prior to that point as well as a more aggressive marketing strategy.

Armageddon and Shadows of Isildur (SoI) have been the two most successful in drawing in new players. I'd even wager that SoI was more so because of its Tolkien setting which at least during my time on staff used to bring in considerable numbers of people who were Tolkien fans and not MUDders.

Threshold and NewWorlds seem, by their posts here and talks I've had with Milawe (of ThresholdMUD), to be growing and drawing in new players.

Yes, there are games that are dealing with that as well as games for which such considerations are minor compared to others. Personally, I think the use of an overarching "story" is a bad thing be it in MUDs, films or television because it makes it difficult to enter at any point other than the beginning or without playing catch-up. Worse, once one has caught up there's always the risk that it wasn't worth the effort (SEE ALSO: Lost). This is especially true in games like RPIs where IC information isn't freely available because of the policy of IC/OOC separation.

Playerbase size doesn't matter. The best RP I've ever found was on a game which had at the time a total playerbase that probably didn't exceed 50 and on which you could rarely find more than 5-6 people. By contrast I've had nothing but horrible experiences on games which boasted a total playerbase of thousands and regularly sported triple figures online simultaneously. This isn't just the case with RPIs or RP MUDs in general; the same goes for good H&S too.

There's different reasons for change. Some are necessary while some are not. Some are positive while others are not. The real key comes to recognizing what changes are necessary and will have a positive impact upon your goals. Further, one needs to examine those goals to see if they are constructive toward what one hopes to achieve.

One problem within the RPI community is that in recent years the goal emphasized more than anything has been playerbase size. However, this hasn't been as important to everyone in the RPI community, particularly those who valued the role-play that existed before such aims became paramount. A larger playerbase is fine but achieving it at the expense of the players you already have and to whom you owe whatever reputation you've thus far achieved might even be called a bit inconsiderate. Of course, no game is obligated to care about such things but likewise no veteran player is obligated to continue playing or have anything good to say about games which don't care.

Last edited by prof1515 : 09-10-2010 at 12:17 AM.
prof1515 is offline   Reply With Quote