View Single Post
Old 01-18-2006, 03:09 AM   #138
Drealoth

Drealoth is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Drealoth
I don't see what the problem here is. Iron Realms' business model kind of relies on people figuring out that they can spend money in the game. Within five minutes of playing one of their games, you've learnt about the existence of credits and the advantages that they provide, and you are more than free to leave. With any other MUD, within five minutes you learn about the existence of certain attributes that are not listed on their info page.

Here's what I don't understand: what is the ultimate goal of requiring a MUD to state whether or not one can pay for certain perks within the game? More votes for Iron Realms, because people think that paid development results in a higher quality MUD? Fewer votes for Iron Realms, because nobody likes the big corporate types? Just discrimination because someone's figured out how to make money from the MUD world?

Although I have no actual numbers for this, I'd be willing to bet that the vast majority of votes come from people who are actually already playing a game. Of these people, I'd say almost all of them are aware of the existence of these infamous credits.

By the way, the definition of professional, according to Google: engaged in a profession or engaging in as a profession or means of livelihood; "the professional man or woman possesses distinctive qualifications"; "began her professional career after the Olympics"; "professional theater"; "professional football"; "a professional cook"; "professional actors and athletes"

But it's all just semantics, so I wouldn't lose too much sleep over it.
Drealoth is offline   Reply With Quote