Old 01-17-2006, 11:13 PM   #133
DonathinFrye

Name: Donathin Frye
Home MUD: Optional Realities
Home MUD: Atonement RPI
Home MUD: Project Redshift
DonathinFrye is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to DonathinFrye
Matt - there haven't been any threads, or even any posts supporting your Professional versus Hobbyist counter-suggestion.

Matt - the majority of the posters in these threads come from a wide variety of MUDs and have very little relation to each other(and no contact, mostly), and are here doing what forums are meant to do... bring lots of voices together to discuss a single topic.

Matt - the minority of the posters in these threads who argue against these suggestions come from IRE MUDs. As a matter of fact, I've asked for non-IRE counter-arguments several times and I've only received the response of one person(Spoke). And Spoke didn't suggest a Professional vs. Hobbyist MUD either. Also of note is that most of the arguers(most, not all) seem to have very few posts, inferring that they are relatively new posters. Lots of relatively new posters that are either IRE Staff(and a few players)... hmm - I'm not against hearing new forum-users voices at all(I'm new myself), but I didn't come here just to go punch-to-earbite with you on this subject.

You are not the voice of the majority of MUDers, Matt. Neither am I. However, the group of MUDers who are vocal about this topic come from a variety of MUDs(and yes, combining the "hobbyist MUDs" together makes that group larger than the combined "professional MUD" group). The group of MUDers who are vocally against this topic all seem to be from Professional/Commercial(specifically, IRE) MUDs.

Propagandic word-twisting rhetoric has been used in social communities for thousands of years. Being that most of us are at least semi-well educated and intelligent/intuitive, I'd hope that we'd be able to see that Matt is doing it now. Who benefits from keeping players in the dark about objective qualities of a MUD(especially ones that affect cost)? Well, I would too, and yet I still argue the other side of the fence. IRE is obviously tilted on this argument, and I've yet to see one counter-argument to my last suggest(made back on Page 9 of this thread) because the counters have fallen down to word-twisting, name-calling, and selective quote-arguing.

Reader's Digest Version: Don't call us the minority - we come from a variety of games, and not all of them are "hobbyist" to use one of your propagandic terms. Don't call yourself majority - your supporters are almost entirely from YOUR MUD. I'm not negating anyone's point of view, but you are being ridiculous and I hope that the majority of the users here can see that.

I'd be careful of the direction you're going in, Matt - more and more people are beginning to compare you to Vryce, and I'm sure that you(and IRE) won't like or benefit from that in the end. Take that or leave it, as you will.
DonathinFrye is offline   Reply With Quote