Thread: $ Info, le Poll
View Single Post
Old 10-11-2002, 01:29 AM   #27
TG_Nek

Angry

Speaking as someone who's first attempt at a bachelor's degree back in 1990 was foiled by mudding....  Had nothing to do with my lack of willpower tho.  I take no responsibility for my actions... It wasn't my fault I couldn't stand up to my weakness.  Right.

Back to the topic at hand....

The rest of Sapphar's quote, to me, made this sound more like a point about a fortunate mistake than a complaint.

If Sapphar enjoyed the game, what does it matter if they could've gone to a game that needs more players?  Sapphar enjoyed it enough to stay, and isn't that the point of a MU*, p2p -or- free, to a player?  As for your second point, you can say that with any MU* search you do.  I can swing by TPE and be completely satisfied with it, never realizing that Inferno is ACTUALLY much more to my liking.

Actually, since most this hub-bubs come up, bub, most the admins I've seen of these p2p's have tried to be more open with the fact that its p2p as opposed to free.  Mostly I site the forums posts and the MU*'s profiles (which is the only place that has p2p as an option where one is prompted to define).

To say they are not being upfront and honest about their postings because it does _not_ say it in the ranking list that they are _not_ a free MU* is like accusing Dragon's Den of not being honest for not putting they are _not_ a WoT MU* in the ranking list.  You come to this site hopefully for the forums, to show love for your favorite MU*, and to see what else is out there - no matter how diverse it is.  As far as I've seen, there is no "standard MU*" which defines how everyone should differentiate their's.  This is not just a FREE MU* site or a theme-oriented MU* site - it's just a MU* site.  And until Syn offers it up as otherwise, there should be as much differentation and segregation between a free vs p2p MU*s as there should be as against Custom v GodWars MU*s.

Another thing, I would think if I were running a p2p MU* for over a decade and I decided to advertise on a site called topmudsites.com I probably wouldn't think about the need to "offer up" the fact that I was p2p as opposed to if the site was called topfreemudsites.com.  If I were posting my MU* on wotmudlisting.com I probably would be a little suprised when the current community browsing the forums got all irate because I didn't post that I didn't allow elves.

I'm sorry Orion, your posts (to me) seem more directed at just shooting down p2p muds specifically than actually trying help figure out a better way to inform the public about certain restrictions muds have.

From what I've been able to gather..top 10 p2p Mu*s...
Dragon Realms (listed p2p Info)
Gemstone III (listed p2p Info)
Threshold RPG (listed p2p Info)
Eternal City (not listed as p2p)
Herc & Xena (listed p2p Info)
Dragon's Gate (Info not connecting)

The 'newcomers' admins have put forth an effort to adopt to the ranking/profile/advertising written and unwritten rules put forth by this site.  In fact, its seems to be everyone BUT them clamboring for additional scrutiny because of it.  From what I've seen and read, they've tried to be somewhat accomodating given the unwelcome greeting they've been shown.  In fact, I'd say they've acted rather

professional

about it.

*looks at the crowd bearing pitchforks, torches, and axes gathering around him*  
Yeah... I think I've said more than my piece.  
*ducks for cover*