View Single Post
Old 03-08-2008, 03:43 AM   #2
prof1515

prof1515 will become famous soon enoughprof1515 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to prof1515 Send a message via Yahoo to prof1515
Re: Looking for an RPI, where the 'I' stands for "Immersive"

I'm not aware of any game that would feature a character like the one you described, at least not an RPI. I'm sure there are numerous RP* MUDs that might allow something like that and have a loose-enough world to add something to that effect in but off the top of my head I can't think of any.

I'd like to think my own project will be a "revolutionary" RPI when it opens but the perils of the real world (boo, hiss) continue to drag us like an anchor. Maybe more like four or five anchors, to be honest. I'm resolute in overcoming this impediment but it's very slow going and I can't ask anything more than that my staff continue to deal with the crises in their lives first because ultimately that takes precedent over *any* game. I had hoped to get our major code push started in late February but it looks like April might have to suit us instead. Just this evening I was looking over stuff related to that and contemplating just how much work we have to do to get our present codebase to a minimal point where it will meet our needs. Suffice to say, it could entail more work than it originally took to get the codebase from the original base DIKU to where it's presently at. Even once we complete that, there's still the massive job of *building* the world itself. The original plan back in 2005 was beta-testing in 2008. Right now, I'll give a tentative date for beta-testing at 2011.

And for the record, the character you described would not be possible in the game as we're going for a more realistic setting. It will be a thoroughly complete world though in terms of creating a living, breathing socio-cultural setting. ;-) Now if only we can prevent the slings and arrows of life in this living, breathing world we call life from reducing us to a slow crawl!

Take care,

Jason
prof1515 is offline   Reply With Quote