View Single Post
Old 03-10-2008, 08:45 AM   #6
prof1515

prof1515 will become famous soon enoughprof1515 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to prof1515 Send a message via Yahoo to prof1515
Re: Looking for an RPI, where the 'I' stands for "Immersive"

Well, you sort of answered your own question with the second sentence. However, passing by that for the moment, let me begin by saying there is NO reason high fantasy can't also be RPI. In fact, there is at least one high fantasy RPI: Armageddon. But let's look again at his post...

There really isn't much in terms of RP involved with those things. They're not really a matter of RP but of skills, many of which exist in RPIs as well as non RPIs. It seems like a rather one-trick pony, rather self-centered as it seems everyone will have to come to him and be the subject of his entertainment. On that note...

Here's where it begins to become problematic. This isn't a request for RP so much as self-indulgence. Note that the entire course of what will happen is already determined and completely centered around himself. If he's allowed this, is everyone? Sort of defeats the concept of an "ancient, dark god" when he can't stop some little pansy from ****ing on his place. This becomes all the more blocked out with this line:

The best way to avoid dying is not getting into a situation where one is likely to die. Acting completely self-indulgent (ie, "void[ing] my bladder on [the ancient, dark god's] altar") is something you have to do with acceptance of circumstance on any RPI. Now, most RPIs will attempt to find ways other than killing a player. But as a former clan leader on a RPI, I often faced PCs who wanted to do just what he's talking about. Ignore the setting, do as they please, and then not want to face the consequences. I tried being lenient and that only inspired them to go further. Finally, I was faced with being a hard-ass and taking the appropriate measures. Some got upset. Sadly, in my case, the staff was trying to recruit players and kept bringing in more and more by lowering standards. Quality-control had taken a back-seat to expanding the playerbase and the game's setting had suffered. I opted to quit because it ceased to be the high quality world it had been. I wasn't alone in that decision.

However, the real key problem is in this statement:

I'm not sure what is meant by "know the areas". If this is referring to the H&S tendency to know every zone layout in order to run it effectively/quickly, then that's fine. No RPI does expect players to do that and in many cases discourage against it. However, if "know the areas" is in reference to learning the world's ins and outs, social or cultural, then it is a problem. In order to RP in a setting, one should know that setting as well as one can (or at least as well as your character should). As I said in my own experience, players who don't want to learn and fit into the game's setting have to accept the consequences of not doing so. If they're not expected to, what good is the setting?

This statement shows promise but seems a bit contrary to the woodland imp type he described earlier, especially if the aforementioned dark god chose to exact some revenge. Choosing a more carefree path is one thing. Expecting to do that and commit acts which might bring about disastrous repercussions upon the rest of one's clanmates is another thing altogether. Most RPI staff would frown on a character who does that.

That it is. XP isn't an element of role-play. It's not necessary to role-play and is a purely mechanical means of determining factors which don't relate to role-play.

The original poster sounds like they are interested in role-play. However, as I stated before I don't know of any game where the character he described would exist. Most, if not all, RPIs possess an established game setting, not a free-form create-anything sort of setting. A well-designed, established setting is crucial to the ability to immerse oneself in the game. It's been my experience that chaotic characters unwilling to adhere to the setting mark the decline of an RPI. I think a lot of RPI admins would agree.

Take care,

Jason
prof1515 is offline   Reply With Quote