View Single Post
Old 09-26-2010, 10:49 PM   #126
Milawe

Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Home MUD: Stash
Home MUD: Archons of Avenshar
Milawe has a spectacular aura aboutMilawe has a spectacular aura about
Re: Veterans of Roleplay Intensive MUDs

I honestly think that games have to evolve as trends change in the gaming industry, but the difficulties of evolving a game that is over a decade old can be extremely challenging. Let's face the fact that "super popular" games are now MUCH easier in progression that traditional muds whether they be RP, HnS, PvP, or even a platformer. Heck, you can even argue that 4th Edition DnD is easier than 1st Edition. Game have changed to reach out more towards the mainstream and the people who CAN'T beat Super Mario Brothers in 8 minutes. Is that a good thing? Probably, but it does bring its own issues to the people who have been gaming for ten or even twenty years.

With any game, even if it does involve roleplay, the mechanics are far more player friendly than they were 15 years ago as a general trend. And with roleplay situations, all it takes is one administrator not roleplaying "correctly" in the eyes of a player for that player to cry foul or favoritism and leave.

In all honesty, I really dislike "judging" the roleplay of characters because I honestly think a good effort counts. Just like any other gift or talent, roleplaying abilities were not created equal in all of us. As long as there is a true desire to roleplay and not just to "win", I think that most players are good RPers. Yes, some fall out of character more than others, but even those people can often play a fun or important part of a scenario. Sometimes it takes more effort from the more able roleplayers to help guide them and set an example, but allowing all levels of roleplayers into a scene can produce wonderful results.

Roleplaying, to me, is a little bit like judging art. There are some pieces that are brilliant and can be recognized by everyone, but the majority of art is a matter of taste. Some people can really hate other pieces that other people absolutely love. I've run stories and events that many players have loved, but for nearly every one that gets tons of praise, at least one person has to send me some hate mail over how I should have done things differently. I stopped beating myself up over it a long, long time ago.

So, it's a matter of taste. I'm not really sure that I think that RPIs or RP-whatevers are any worse off than they were before. There's still tons of players who love it and tons of players wanting to be involved. Roleplayers, however, are a creative bunch, so I'm sure that sooner or later, they're going to think they can do it better. Isn't that how new muds are born?
Milawe is offline   Reply With Quote