View Single Post
Old 09-27-2010, 03:38 PM   #133
Milawe

Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Home MUD: Stash
Home MUD: Archons of Avenshar
Milawe has a spectacular aura aboutMilawe has a spectacular aura about
Re: Veterans of Roleplay Intensive MUDs

You're posting for the same reason I'm posting: we both make and play games where we throw ourselves at hopeless odds and type commands furiously to try to get some numbers to go up on our screen. This isn't really that different, right?

I think, though, that this isn't necessarily an argument. I'm definitely not attacking the RPI people or the feature list that is required to be an RPI. We've never said our games are RPIs nor have we had interest in doing so. The threads really only get nasty when someone makes a claim that some subset of features is just so much better for RP, and thus, the people who play with those feature sets must be better RPers.

As many of us said before, roleplaying is a matter of taste, and many people honestly think of roleplaying as very different things. Solo-computer gamers think of RP as putting their character through different scenarios and leveling them up. (Dungeon Siege, Diablo II, etc.) Others think that true roleplay can only come in when interacting with other players. Still others think that roleplay is an elite artform that can only be done by the best of the best. (I don't think that's a really common thought. I had a friend who was required to RP a blade of grass on some MUSH. She didn't really get a lot of out it.) While, objectively, there is good and bad RP, a lot of it also comes down to personal taste.
Milawe is offline   Reply With Quote