View Single Post
Old 03-08-2011, 11:49 AM   #12
plamzi

Home MUD: bedlam.mudportal.com:9000
Home MUD: www.mudportal.com
plamzi is on a distinguished road
Re: The inevitability of GUIs in text-based mudding

I'd like to build a 2D MUSHClient GUI for Bedlam. I'd like it to begin by showing a progress indicator of my choice while connecting, set against a splash background of specific dimensions. When connected, I'd like it to fade in two text input fields, labeled Character: and Password:. I'd like it to obscure the password entered in the second field.

Once logged in, I'd like the UI to slide a picture of the entry room in from the left. On top of the picture, in the bottom half of it, I'd like it to load the character's avatar.

When the user double-clicks their avatar, I'd like a rounded-border semi-transparent dialog positioned over the avatar to flash the message "You look at yourself" and I'd like this action to load a horizontally scrollable menu of worn items with specified dimensions and with icons I provide via URLs.

If the player drags and drops an item on themselves from worn menu, I'd like move the item to their inventory menu, creating and showing the inventory menu if it doesn't already exist.

If the player double-clicks an inventory item, and if that item is readable, I'd like to open a parchment dialog (at such and such coordinates) with a title in the font and size I specify and the readable contents of the item.

If the player tripple-clicks on an item, I'd like to open up a different dialog with detailed description of the item. If the item is a wand, and the player drags and drops it on an NPC (in a different menu), I'd like them to use the wand on this exact NPC.

If the spell succeeds, I'd like to overlay an animated gif of a lightning bolt, and if the mob is dead as a result, I'd like them removed from the NPC menu by sliding their icon downward and, while sliding it, replacing it with a small icon of a corpse.

I'd like the script for the above basic interactions to be significantly easier than writing the same thing in javascript using something like jQuery UI (which would get me a web GUI that anyone can use without installing anything).

Is this currently possible?
plamzi is offline   Reply With Quote