View Single Post
Old 03-08-2011, 04:41 PM   #18
KaVir
Legend

Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough
Re: The inevitability of GUIs in text-based mudding

As far as I'm aware, Aardwolf and I are the only muds that offer any sort of official MUSHclient plugin - so far, at least. We both use hotspots, and I have a few animated icons. Other graphical plugins I've seen were either experimental, or private.

I wouldn't suggest trying to duplicate a MMORPG like EQ or WoW using MUSHclient - it's still really a text-based client.

But for people who wish to have a GUI comparable with Archons of Avenshar, BatMUD, Maiden Desmodus, Primordiax, etc, clients like MUSHclient and Mudlet offer a way to very quickly and easily produce a custom interface, while still benefiting from the range of features that mudders expect from a powerful modern client.

Developing your own custom client from scratch is a major project. But creating a custom GUI for MUSHclient or Mudlet is something you can do in a matter of days, and you could have the basics in place in just a few hours. And that's why I feel things are going to change - the entry barrier has dropped so low that anyone who actually wants a custom GUI can now create one extremely quickly.
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote