View Single Post
Old 05-29-2013, 09:42 AM   #10
Juason

Home MUD: Dragonrealms
Juason is on a distinguished road
Re: Join Dragonrealms today!

You are about 8 years removed and harping on the wrong game (Gemstone)

A quick check of sites like the Sales Yahoo groups has shown a 75% decline in activity since early 2000s. But sure, there will always be a market for items and characters! Why is that such a horrible thing?

If someone enjoys the game enough to buy an item or charater, someone will profit off selling it. Somehow I think this proves my point that people REALLY must be enjoying a game to spend 1000s of dollars buying characters for it! You even admitted it could have been a good source of income for yourself.

In a given day the DR population ranges from the low 200s to the 500s - more during big events. Your observation that the games have only a few dozen people all paying for 10 accounts, spending 100s of dollars a month (to play with themselves??) doesn't add up. But then I guess you had never been to a Simucon and met any of the hundreds of minds behind the text?

The 30-day trial is pretty standard in the industry... ahh well, haters gonna hate :P

I will point out that since the 3.0 release you can't really Redmage yourself. The best armor and weapons give you an advantage, but the game design allows for experiencing all content with storebought gear. Invasions, quests and other events feature mechanics that allow players of all skill levels to participate.

Since I've seen crafting mentioned in a few places, I wanted to list what DR has to offer and is planned to have to offer:

Blacksmithing - Released
Weaponsmithing - Released
Armorsmithing - Released

Bone and Stone carving - Released
Wood and Clay shaping - Older fletching system still in place
Mechanical Tinkering

Leather and Fabric Tailoring, Knitting - Released
Artistry - Older embroidery and dyeing system in place
Jewelrycrafting

Alchemical Remedies - Estimated release this summer
Alchemical Poisons - Estimated release this fall
Cooking - Old food system in place