View Single Post
Old 05-29-2013, 10:42 AM   #14
Jazuela

Jazuela will become famous soon enoughJazuela will become famous soon enough
Re: Join Dragonrealms today!

If your entire post is based on the first statement, then your entire post is erroneous. I have played those games. Gemstone was the first text game I ever played. Dragonrealms was the second. I started with GS on Prodigy, saw it through the AOL fiasco, and into the WWW and beyond. I played DR for a year or so once it had already become available on the web, and Prodigy had gone out of business. I was also the assistant to Tom Zelinski (co-founder of Simutronics) on the Prodigy GS forum as a librarian archivist, and I was a moderator and active member of the biggest GS fansite forum, which is still alive and running today, on which I still have an active account and read every few weeks.

I'd say that qualifies me to offer an opinion on the product.

Juason posted: What Juason isn't understanding, is that the industry standard is *free.* There is no 30-day trial, or any trial at all, in the industry of text-based interactive online multiplayer games. The vast majority of these types of games are free, period.

DR and GS and other Simu players, for the most part, are members of a group of people who don't know any better. Many of them (as Juason and Eriic have pointed out) have played for many many years, back when they were first available only on the online services. In other words, they have been playing exclusively since the pay-for-play model was the method du jour. They haven't moved beyond it, they haven't ventured past it, they haven't attempted to seek out anything else. And so - they have no idea that there exists thousands upon thousands of players who play for free in other games, that other games might have better systems, better staff, better forums, better code, better roleplay, better hack-n-slash, than anything they can wrap their minds around.

The point being - whether or not these things are true - these players don't KNOW, because they've never experienced anything else. The guy who spends his life in a cabin in the woods, with no radio, no phone, no friends, no family, doesn't know that skyscrapers exist, because he's never seen one or heard anyone talk about them. Those are the majority of players who play Simu games. They pay, because it doesn't occur to them to NOT pay somewhere else.
Jazuela is offline   Reply With Quote