View Single Post
Old 06-01-2013, 12:22 AM   #28
dark acacia
Banned

dark acacia is on a distinguished road
Re: Join Dragonrealms today!

Okay, so assuming that Dragonrealms has been around as long as you say it has, there's no excuse for it to get so stale that it looks and sounds like every other competitor on the market. Heck, the website reminds me of a bunch of other MUDs, and even seems to have some WoW influence. You people rake in so much dough that there's no reason why you couldn't hire a staff to keep the place looking far better than anything else out there. Your game has failed to convince anyone not already caught in its spell that it is far and beyond anything that they can get elsewhere for free.

There's a concept of product life where the introductory years are when that product is just starting out, finding its target market, testing its strengths and weaknesses. There's a maturity phase where the product builds itself up to maintain and grow its share of the market. There's a final phase where interest or need for the product fades and the product nears its logical conclusion. Some products last for a long time because its producers are able to keep the product in that long maturity phase, whether by finding new ways to market it or developing new ways to make it better. If the producers don't keep the product going, it'll die; sometimes because of inaction, and other times because that's the way it goes.

What you're telling me is that Dragonrealms is so determined to stay the course that it has no need to change and find ways to improve and make itself credibly above and beyond the hundreds of imitators out there, simply because it was one of the first. And you're still telling me that it's worth however much your corporate bigwigs set the price?

I don't understand how the paid subscription in conjunction with the pay2win features is a system that will work in the long run. Pay2win works with free2play because the game makes money on the people who want to spend while maintaining a large and active playerbase; the large playerbase is more likely to attract people who want to stay competitive and buy that extra edge. What it looks like to me is that people in your game have the opportunity to pay for extras in a game that they're already paying for.

Oh, and are your races all that unique? Some of them have fancy names, but I've seen them as playable races in many places: Elotheans remind me of Eldritch; the S'kra Mur are lizardfolk; the Gor'Tog are the race of laborers who happened to be enslaved at some point; the Kaldar are the tougher men of the frozen North; and the Rakash and Prydaen are your dog- and cat-men to attract the furry crowd.
dark acacia is offline   Reply With Quote