View Single Post
Old 06-01-2013, 01:39 PM   #32
Rontapazu

Rontapazu is on a distinguished road
Re: Join Dragonrealms today!

Usually I just lurk here but I felt like adding in my 2 cents on this one. Been playing muds on and off for about 15 years. My first mud, which I will not name, was custom coded and to this day one of the best I've played. Been searching for a new home since. Anyway the mud started going down hill as soon as they implemented "donation" rewards. Really it was just a front to look like you are helping the mud(make a profit). This completely ruined everything as you could buy powerful items that gave you a significant advantage over other players. Activity slowly dropped over time and now it's a shadow of what it once was. So despite being an amazingly well designed and addicting mud with a thriving community, I simply was not willing to support such a system.

My point here is that DR may be worth that monthly subscription to some. Maybe it's a great mud. Personally though I would never pay anything to play a mud and am in fact fully against any pay to play or pay for perk setup. It changes the landscape of the mud for the worse imo. I think mud creators are in large, a people passionate for rpgs whose success is simply based upon whether or not people are playing their creation. Muds come and go like the wind and even very well designed muds have closed simply because they can't sustain a stable player base.

So this might be the best mud in the world, but there is nothing you could do, short of making it free, that would get me to play it. I'd actually be willing to support a mud I love with donations. But I believe pay to play or pay to win models go against what muds are about.
Rontapazu is offline   Reply With Quote