Old 04-24-2006, 03:00 PM   #7
DonathinFrye

Name: Donathin Frye
Home MUD: Optional Realities
Home MUD: Atonement RPI
Home MUD: Project Redshift
DonathinFrye is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to DonathinFrye
Legend of Terris used to be a huge game - hundreds nearing a thousand players would play it at a time, as my memory recalls. The world is large and it is a solid MUD(I'm not a fan of there being no PvP Combat).

Now here is what I will say to counter that;

It is cliqueish, largely. A MUD that was once one of the largest playerbases on the internet has dropped to averages of 20-30 players on a time(and the world is vast, so that makes the playerbase size seem even smaller). This should tell you something. Most of the players consider themselves "oldschool" these days and have been playing for around 10 years. It is not particularly newbie friendly, so the "five free logins" you have before you have to pay really are not enough to learn much of the MuD.

This brings me to my point - why has the playerbase size dropped so dramatically(dropped from averages between 600-900 to 20-30)?

A) Because the game does not offer as much gameplay variety as other pay-to-play MUDs. Ex: No PvP combat, small playerbase.
B) Because the game does not advertise nearly as well as other pay-to-play MUDs.
C) Because the game is not as professionally run these days as other pay-to-play MUDs.
D) Because the game charges too much monthly.

And there are more reasons. So, long story short; Legend of Terris is a good MUD if you like large, expansive worlds. That is really their only stand-out feature, though.

If they really wanted more people to play, I would suggest that they stop charging per-month and become completely free(like other MUDs of their quality), or at least move to a pay-for-perks model like IRE. As-is, the major reason their playerbase has become so small over the years is because the MUD isn't worth the money it charges to nearly all potential gaming customers.
DonathinFrye is offline   Reply With Quote