Old 09-12-2010, 10:46 PM   #91
Threshold
Legend

Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Threshold will become famous soon enough
Re: Veterans of Roleplay Intensive MUDs

I have to say it again:

Not so fast, my friend!

Newworlds speaks for himself, and himself alone. He doesn't speak for me, we aren't a "team", and we don't even agree on a lot of things related to this issue. If you want to debate a point I have made, I'm happy to read what you have to say and possibly be educated or have my mind changed. I simply ask that you think of me as my own person with my own views, not part of a cabal.

Aw shucks. *blush* Thank you.

I know what the terms mean. I also know that the RPI/ARM folks consider those acronyms to refer to a very specific, very rigid set of game features. But trying to lay claim to the spelled out words themselves strikes me as a bit delusional and excessive.

Out of respect for people to whom "RPI" has a very specific meaning, I do not call or an RPI. But if asked, I would definitely describe both games as roleplay intensive. I would not appreciate someone saying "you can't say your games are roleplay intensive, to use that phrase you have to have game features X, Y, and Z." Telling me I cannot use two basic words that do in fact accurately describe my games would be totally illogical and inappropriate in my view.

I should add that I would shy away from the phrase "roleplay intensive" anyway. Not because I agree that those 2 words used together require a certain set of features, but because I make games to bring happiness to people - not to score points in ancient, drawn out arguments that have unnecessarily divided our community.
Threshold is offline   Reply With Quote