View Single Post
Old 04-17-2013, 07:57 PM   #12
Gesslar

Home MUD: ThresholdRPG
Gesslar is on a distinguished road
Re: Finding a Place to Call Home: Communities Tolerant & Accepting of Gay Gamers

Jazuela:

I believe that Threshold (and I'm trying not to speak for him, but rather to articulate what I believe him to have been saying) was stating that it's kind of head-in-the-sand to believe this: No one else is going to care if he's (or she's) gay or straight, unless he/she makes an issue of it, in an OOC manner.

A lot of players on a lot of online games speak and react in an intolerant manner. It's just true. The sentiment of "should not matter" is the correct statement, which you said, but the last part unfortunately did not agree with the first. If you've been lucky enough to find a community where those ideals have indeed taken hold, then that is a beautiful thing, but it is not typical.

This article was written by players who've played many different online games and have experiences to back up the statements made, having lived it I can tell you first-hand that what I say above is true.

SnowTroll:
I will never accept someone casually throwing around the gaycist word "gay" to mean something bad. If you want to see how awkward your post is, replace every instance of gay or homosexual with "black person" and the word "gay" you have in quotes...well, you know what word to use. You do agree that it's horrible, so this isn't a personal attack toward you, but rather an attempt to show how completely offensive it is to, instead of trying to correct a situation, just let it go "cos it shows they're dum." Nobody really needs more evidence of that.

Also, I have no idea who talks about BEING straight or gay. That's a really short discussion right there. It's a whole sentence after which you are pretty much forced to move on since there's really nothing more to be said.

To conclude, I want to say that the reason I was happy that Threshold posted this link for you all to read was because I personally feel that it was easier to find acceptance amongst MUDders than any other type of online gaming and we all seem to agree that safe gaming is important and since people need an escape from whatever's going on in their lives, that finding this haven in MUDs really speaks to the platform as a community.
Gesslar is offline   Reply With Quote