Thread: give me a mud
View Single Post
Old 12-29-2005, 01:27 PM   #18
Jazuela

Jazuela will become famous soon enoughJazuela will become famous soon enough
Of course he can change his profession. Skills lists are skills lists. They are -not- professions. A player who RPs his character as a merchant does NOT need to pick the "merchant" class to "be" a successful merchant. All that class is, is a set of skills that allow a character to do a bunch of craft-related skills. A character with a warrior skillset can EASILY be a successful merchant as a profession. A warrior skillset character never EVER has to touch a weapon, if they don't want to. Characters are NOT their skillsets. I don't know how better to emphasize that. I had two merchant characters who were burglars. TWO of them. And both were successful. One of them used only three skills in total: listen, the psionic contact/psi, and ride. ALL characters come with the two psionics, no matter what skillset they pick. ALL characters either come with, or can easily pick up and learn, the ride skill. Listen comes with many different skillsets. But I had to pick something so I picked burglar. I had a ranger who got rich making jewelry, and hunted primarily just for food. I had another burglar skillset character who got hired by a templar as his aide the first day I played her, and she ended up being the senior aide of a noble house. My "stories" are not rare, they're not unusual, they are typical of MANY characters in Armageddon.

To reiterate: Skillsets in Armageddon are NOT professions. You "do something for a living" based on your roleplay. Your skills exist ONLY to support your roleplay, and you NEVER have to use those skills if your character doesn't need them.
Jazuela is offline   Reply With Quote