View Single Post
Old 03-22-2005, 11:37 AM   #57
prof1515

prof1515 will become famous soon enoughprof1515 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to prof1515 Send a message via Yahoo to prof1515
Personally, I have no problem with a MUD advertising their features, so long as they maintain a realistic sense about it. That these features were touted as "innovative" and "pushing the envelope" when they're not is a little misleading.

Personally, I'm glad that people paying to play his game have more features. Less of a waste of their money. But a good number of the advertisements posted, not just Matt's, on this forum are often exagerrations and sad claims of awesome features when they're really not. And often, you're right, noone comments on the overblown claims of those sub-par MUDs either. Maybe I need to frequent the forums more because I probably miss a lot of them.

I'm just as critical about any advertisement, not just on TMS, of products that really aren't that good. That's why I don't watch commercials. Not only do they generate a negative response in me nearly 100% of the time (I'm less inclined to buy most products that advertise themselves because marketing usually brings out my stubborn nature if I see any exagerration or ploy rather than a truthful assessment of the quality of the goods offered), they usually inspire me to comment to those around me of the mistruths and tricks used in them. I do admire when products are truthfully assessed and exagerrations humbly countered by the very people whose products are overblown by others though. Maybe I'm old-fashioned, but I believe modesty is a virtue.

I still love that quote by Thoreau:

"...instead of studying how to make it worth men's while to buy my baskets, I studied rather how to avoid the necessity of selling them."

Take care,

Jason
prof1515 is offline   Reply With Quote