View Single Post
Old 01-06-2004, 12:33 AM   #29
Kylotan

Home MUD: Abattoir (Smaug)
Home MUD: ex-Jellybean (Smaug)
Home MUD: ex-Dark Chambers (Merc)
Kylotan is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Kylotan Send a message via AIM to Kylotan Send a message via MSN to Kylotan Send a message via Yahoo to Kylotan
Ok... you have to realise that you're really in the deep end here. Telling you what steps would be involved would be like telling you what steps are involved in making a car. Not only are you requiring a totally new server - maybe a year's dedicated work in itself - but you want a totally new client with features unseen in other clients,which again is quite a lot of work. I'm not sure you quite realise the scope of your demands, which to be fair is quite common among people who don't program. They often say "all I want is X... with Y added" and they don't realise that writing X from scratch took years in the first place and that Y isn't already in X because it's #### hard to code... but anyway.

As for the "What language is best?" question, I thought you said you already had a lot of code written... are you willing to give all that up and start again? Because that seems a bit wasteful. Anyway, if so I would always recommend Python as a coding language to a newbie, but Ruby is very similar. I am dubious about your old coder's decision to incorporate Lua however; that seems pointless given that I'm sure you could get the builders to write scripts in Ruby. Anyway, back to the point; I could write a basic MUD engine in Python in 2 months but I know what I'm doing. If you don't really know what you're doing it's likely to take you years no matter what language you use. Therefore generally the best language to use is 'whatever your coding team wants to use', and finding such a team becomes the priority.
Kylotan is offline   Reply With Quote