View Single Post
Old 09-30-2009, 11:36 AM   #86
Jazuela

Jazuela will become famous soon enoughJazuela will become famous soon enough
Re: RPI, RPE, and Roleplay

I don't think it boils down to "who may use" the term and "who may not." I think it boils down to "to whom does the term, AND its common attributes apply, and to whom it does not."

As I've said in another thread (in similar terms)...if most people who have seen the color green, define it in a certain way, and a blind guy comes by and says "no no, that's not green, THIS is green" and defines it a different way, well the blind guy may very well be correct, and the rest of the people may very well be incorrect. But..

It doesn't matter. If the people who defined green say, "We're having a party, come on by, you have to wear green to get in" and you show up wearing purple, you ain't getting in. EVEN if you say "this IS green."

NewWorlds doesn't agree that RPI means what most of the people *who actually use the term* think it means. New World's game isn't an RPI, and it never was an RPI. He didn't know that, because he didn't understand the "generally regarded as standard" usage of the term. He knew its definition: "Roleplay Intensive." He was absolutely correct. And his game really IS roleplay intensive. However, the three letters, used as a term - RPI "Are Pee Eye"..don't -only- mean "roleplay intensive." It means that, along with certain criteria that has become generally regarded by the community as standard, for that specific term. Not the specific term "roleplay intensive," but the specific term "RPI." The term -could- mean "Real Pigs are Interesting" for all it matters, and it wouldn't change a thing. Only games that include the majority of certain criteria will fit that category.

NewWorlds is welcome to call his game Roleplay Intensive - his game really does have some great intensive roleplay afterall, so the term is appropriate. However, it is not an RPI. If he uses the term RPI, no board police will come down and arrest him, no one will sue him, no one will siteban him. His entry on the TMS listings might be edited if he says officially on his listing that it's an RPI, but other than that, he's not doing anything *wrong.* What he's doing, is wearing a purple jumpsuit and walking over to a bunch of green jumpsuit-wearing people, and telling them that he's wearing green and that all of the green-wearing people are wrong.

That's not wrong, it's just dumb. Or perhaps color blind. As far as I know, neither is a crime.
Jazuela is offline   Reply With Quote