View Single Post
Old 03-17-2004, 08:23 AM   #20
Xorith

Xorith is on a distinguished road
So much bickering over such a minor issue.

I look at the whole of the situation here. It's not so much the limiting of communication or exerting control. While I think a major point is being missed in that aspect (the administrator *does* have control and has the right to run his or her MUD as he or she sees fit), it's a rather boring point.

Looking more so at the program that was created. I don't know about anyone else here, but my goal and hope for my own MUD is for it to grow into a place where people can come in and enjoy themselves. It's not for everyone, and I do have some very harsh rules on roleplay and how I expect people who play my game to act. In general, I stress that even in disagreement, there should be respect and consideration. I'm probably asking for the impossible, but it's nothing more than asking mature adults to act like mature adults. I'm not running a day care center, I'm running a Role-Playing Game.

Programs like this introduce an out of character element into a world that I'd like to keep mostly in-character. There are or will be in-game languages and various means of private in-game communication, so the entire point of creating such a program is indeed moot should the point have been innocent enough. If it wasn't, then it would be wise to ban the program and punish those who created it. What would be a non-innocent point? It's already been covered: circumventing the 'control' of the staff by speaking in a manner that they can not decypher.

From the role-play aspect, this could be argued. Perhaps this player's character is a scribe who spent long hours by dim candlelight to create his own language. I'll give credit where due, and this would be interesting enough. However, I'd much rather the player seek out myself with this new language so that it could be implemented directly into the game (with credit given where it is due), even if it meant giving him the means to control who could or could not read and write in this new language.

From the control aspect, I don't see how any competent administrator could argue this even though some already have. To allow such a program would be to give up some of your control. Your control isn't earth-shaking, however it is what usually keeps a MUD glued together. Not knowing what is being said could open you up to many unpleasant things, most of which have been discussed. The major one was pointed out by KaVir - that is your MUD being used as a means to discuss illegal activity. Other things include the advantage this would give those special players who have the program over players who do not, especially in a PVP environment. Lets face it, if you're not in control of your game, then who is? To accuse an administrator of being a control-freak is like accusing a Senator of being a politician, however the latter is less derrogatory (in most cases anyway).

I think those who spout off 'control-freak' in regard to this issue may also be the same who, as players, bitch and whine about how a game they are playing is run. They feel they have the right to control the game just because they login day after day, as if they have some greater knowledge than the person who's putting his or her hard work into it. Rather than taking the more obvious and logical route of NOT logging into this game, since they obviously can't stand how it's run, they continue to login every day and try to exert some false control. This sort of delusional state is unfortunately common in the world of MUDs. I've seen it before, and I have to confess that I've been that delusional player before. Though, it's amazing what one learns when he opens his eyes to the obvious truth staring blankly at him, as if wishing to beat him over the head with something called 'Common Sense'.

-- Xorith
Xorith is offline   Reply With Quote