View Single Post
Old 09-24-2008, 09:47 PM   #1
Parhelion

Name: Sarah
Home MUD: Ethos
Parhelion is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Parhelion
Arrow C++, and Python or Pike -- looking for something new

Over the next couple of years, I plan to be working on a major innovation project to showcase different design and programming ideas that I have. Unfortunately, I am not at the experience level where I can just go out and whip up a masterpiece all on my own -- it's a learning experience. It doesn't hurt, however, to start doing my research now.

I'm looking for something to find a stable or in-development MUD codebase/engine that works similar to the way that LP MUDs work (C driver with a LPC mudlib), with the exception that the driver or server runs in C++ (or C, much less preferrably) with a mudlib written in either Python (my first choice) or Pike.

While I do have some moderate experience with C++, I am only just now beginning to pick up Python (alongside a plethora of other scripting, mark-up, and interpreted languages used in game development); nevertheless, if someone knows of an abandoned or early project that I could look at, or even a developed one, I would greatly appreciate it.

(( As an alternative, and something I'm more looking into for my own enjoyment than anything else, I'm also looking to find stable, bare-bones libs that work well with the DGD driver besides the main ones popularly listed. ))

A note to those who are wondering: I am not interested in a CPP-only codebase; what interests me about the driver-lib setup is the way that the lib can be changed on the fly without compiling and the way that builders can interact and work on it with a great deal more freedom than is allowed with MUDs set up to use plain scripting and OLC. Plus, they just make more sense.

P.S. -- Documentation is awesome. People who bother to document are awesome.
Parhelion is offline   Reply With Quote