View Single Post
Old 11-12-2003, 02:01 PM   #17
Valg

Home MUD: Carrion Fields
Valg will become famous soon enough
Regarding a hypothetical:

1) Submit an email, give the time and date of the problem, along with a log from your perspective. A more senior member of the staff then verifies the log, and if necessary handles the situation.

2) Wait for one of the other immortals who is probably on (again, not a small staff) to quietly smack the rogue immortal for being unneccessarily rude.

The better answer is "we train our staff so that this hypothetical is a very rare case." Our staff runs older than most also- I don't know the median age but I'd guess it's much closer to 30 than 20. I keep the newbie channel on whenever I am on, and I can say that it is very rare that I've had to speak with a staff member about conduct, and more common that I have to speak to a player about being rude to a questioner.

Carrion Fields is designed to be a low barrier-to-entry game- there are no lengthy prerequisites (pre-approvals, applications, submitted information, etc.) to getting started. Thus, there will occasionally be a couple jerks around who log on and feel the need to answer new player questions with insults, but it's not very hard for us to handle those situations by talking to them, and removing their access to the channel if it becomes clear they have no intention of being helpful.

In summary, in theory you can create scenarios where our RP immersion (separation of IC/OOC personae) causes chaos or corruption. In practice, however, we've been around nearly ten years, and we know how to handle these sorts of things.
Valg is offline   Reply With Quote