View Single Post
Old 09-14-2003, 10:53 AM   #13
KaVir
Legend

Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough
No, they apply to a lot of mud developers.

If I feel that Grendel is a derivative? Perhaps I misinterpretted the following:

"Parts based on Smaug, ( c ) Derek Snider and Emlen, ( c ) Owen Emlen"

"Part of the development is moving away from the Diku/Emlen-inspired code."

"Grendel merely uses some of the internal structures of Smaug, I included them as a starting point. Future development will make sure all traces of Diku/Smaug/Emlen-inspired code are removed and replaced with contemporary technology."

"I do not agree that I should start from scratch to rid myself of any derivative "status"."

May I recommend you read , in particular:

VI.D.2. Piecewise Reimplementation

Many people have reimplemented computer programs by rewriting them to replace the source code with code of their own writing. There is no reason to believe that this would not be a copyright infringement, particularly if the reimplementer had access to the source code of the original program, even if none of the original source code remains.

When the first segment of code is rewritten, the new code will be an infringing work if it is substantially similar to the original code, or may be an infringing derivative work if it is a reimplementation in a different programming language. That reimplemented first segment is combined with the remaining parts of the original program to form an intermediate version. Subsequent modifications produce another work. So when you have completed the piecewise reimplementation, you have a set of works, each of whose creation infringes the exclusive rights of the owner of the copyright of the original program.

As an analogy, consider the translation of a novel to a different language, something that would clearly be a derivative work. It makes little difference that none of the original words remain, or that the translation was done a little at a time. The resulting translation is still an infringing derivative work.

Even if you completely replace the program with new code, nonliteral elements also protected by the original program’s copyright are likely to remain and infringe – elements like the overall program structure or architecture and data structures that are not dictated by external or efficiency considerations. Although there is no case law on this point, it would seem that the only way to break the chain of infringing works is by some extraordinary act, such as a clean room implementation.
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote