View Single Post
Old 03-25-2008, 11:55 PM   #83
prof1515

prof1515 will become famous soon enoughprof1515 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to prof1515 Send a message via Yahoo to prof1515
Re: Guidelines for an RPI mud.

I've always said MUD was a horrible term anyway. Every now and then I've jokingly used the term MUG in its place. However, the term MUD is an accepted term for text-based gaming and can even be used beyond. the basic characteristics of what is considered a MUD are equally vague but there are some basic shared features between all the games that call themself a MUD. However, there are also clear differences between the context in which the terms MUD and other terms like MUSH are used even though both are text-based games. So too with RP MUDs and RPI. Why do these terms come into use? To differentiate types of games.

RPI MUDs still possess that same basic core of features no matter how far or how little they've changed. Just as a basic set of core features for which the term MUD applies (a rather slim set), so too did a core set exist for identifying RPI.

The problem is that the term didn't evolve into use so much as it was simply ignored and used either out of ignorance or deliberate deceit. Language may evolve but we're talking more than language. We're talking taxonomy.

I'm not disputing that. But formal language dictates most serious study and research in order to reduce confusion over the chaotic changes of language. Standardized terms based on undisputed commonalities and examples are the key to forming functional definitions. As you said, language evolves but even so, local and temporary or short-term changes rarely find their way into standard use. Even when they do, its even less common for them to find themselves into use in scientific use.

Take care,

Jason