View Single Post
Old 11-02-2011, 09:59 AM   #6
camlorn

camlorn is on a distinguished road
Re: may start a mud: what would you prefer?

Ok, so, first I don't think I made this clear: this isn't -likely- to happen. I recognize that I'm new at mudding and coding in general, but it sure would be great if I pulled it off. It's something I've wanted to do for some years now, and just haven't, mainly for lack of motivation. I'm finally building up that motivation, a bit at a time; it's something I think about more and more lately.
Darren, your comment about staff is somewhat true, however, it isn't the responsibility of the admin to find staff outside a particular group. It is the responsibility of the admin to log and address complaints, but I can't ignore the only major source of mud staff: mud players. That said, favoritism is bad and should be dealt with; the best way, probably, is to keep server-side logs of all immortals.

Newworlds, I'm aware of most of the stuff on that link. I've never managed to work somewhere for any long period of time, mostly because I've never become greatly attached to any muds. I tend to bounce around about 6-10 muds, in a cycle of about a year.

Crystalsouls, rpi is just about the only thing I'm not interested in; I have nothing against rp, but have nothing for it either. I've played both rpi and not-rpi muds and honestly don't have a preference. I do kind of agree with your statement, however, being visually impaired means that I can't go play a graphical mmorpg. There are a lot of things that mmorpgs have a better time modelling, but that also holds true for muds. I've never heard of a system of atomic quests like the one lyannic's working on, seen lost souls' system of knowledge modelling (you know that something's made of black stone; you identify it and the black-stone longsword might become the warpstone longsword, etc; this is extended to all items), and you can almost forget about modelling flight like some muds do, unless your entire game is based around it for a variety of reasons. That said, a main quest line would be nice, something along the lines of a text adventure, for people to do when others aren't around. Heck, you could even do something like a lot of browser games do where the main quest is the goal with a lot of side quests, and once you finish the main quest you start over with some benefit, going round and round forever. There are problems with this and I am aware of them. I'm not saying I would, just that it could be done.

All this said, there's no telling if my project will ever reach the light of day or even have a quarter of the stuff I'd want to see; writing a mud is a lot of work, and if I don't think I can honestly open it and keep it open, I won't; we don't need another mud that opens for a year or so and ends up in the mud graveyard or opens and starts dieing on the first day.
camlorn is offline   Reply With Quote