View Single Post
Old 04-18-2013, 10:31 AM   #19
SnowTroll

SnowTroll will become famous soon enough
Re: Finding a Place to Call Home: Communities Tolerant & Accepting of Gay Gamers

There is an entire landscape of people that lie between the 10% that are super-supportive, ultra-pro-gay, march in a parade in solidarity, love all humanity, homosexual rights supporters, and the 10% that are psychotic gay-bashing bigots (10 percent chosen as an unsupported exemplary figure). Most people don't care about homosexuality, or about bigotry all that much. They'll tell you it's okay for gay people to be gay, and for bigots to be idiotic bigots, and they just don't care. I'm darn sick of people telling me that if you're not an ultra-devoted gay rights advocate and actually expect homosexuals to at least recognize that even if it's totally cool and acceptable that they're living differently than most people, they're still living differently than most people, that makes you a bigot.

Bigots (real bigots, not normal people like those described in the paragraph above) have just as much of a right to be out and proud about their bigotry as homosexuals have to be gay and proud of it. Who are you to tell a bigot that who he is, how he behaves, and what he thinks is morally wrong, disgusting, and that he needs to keep his mouth shut and stay in the closet about his thoughts and feelings? It's proud and heroic to tell that to a bigot, but disgusting to tell that to a homosexual person? I don't agree with the viewpoint of a homophobic bigot, but I strongly believe he has a right to his viewpoint and a right to express it, just like I strongly believe in homosexuals having that same right. What's funny is that if a bunch of big gay men from the nearest muscle beach took a few baseball bats and clubbed the crap out of some KKK members tonight, a pretty substantial segment of society would say that those dirty bigots just got what they deserved. The pendulum has swung waaaay too far.

All the same, you won't find me incidentally commenting on a public channel on a mud: "Boy, I sure miss bread. You know, due to the Jewish holiday of Passover I've been celebrating where I eat mahtza and can't eat bread for eight whole days. I'm not randomly bringing up this topic to draw attention to the fact that I'm Jewish. I'm just talking about what's going on in my life, generally, which happens to indirectly indicate that I'm Jewish, which is totally no different than the rest of you wishing each other Merry Christmas every December, so if any of you mention anything that indicates that being Jewish is a thing that makes me different than being the majority religion, you're a dirty anti-semite and should be banned from this mud." You're on the freaking internet. The second you broadcast a piece of information, it's out there for comment. If you're okay letting people know you're gay, directly or incidentally, great! But frankly, all of us, not just homosexuals, should be censoring anything we don't want people to know. It's the internet. Do you really want everybody logged into the same mud as you knowing any detail about your life?
SnowTroll is offline   Reply With Quote