View Single Post
Old 12-28-2004, 05:45 PM   #41

I've been talking about and comparing three different general classes of muds according to how role-playing is done, not just hack-n-slash Dikus vs. RPIs, but RPIs vs. pure role-playing muds.

For example:
Aardwolf hack-n-slash
Harshlands RPI
ElendorMush role-playing

It's rather obvious to me that muds like Harshlands and Armageddon do contain hack-n-slash games just like Aardwolf while incorporating some of the elements of pure role-playing games like Elendor and TrekMush. Skill-based development based on use is certainly not unique to RPI games. The finer abstraction of skill levels as opposed to character levels has been part of many hack-n-slash muds for a long time.

My objection is that RPI does not have specific criteria and is just another analog term that can describe a number of muds today, and is no longer codebase dependent (i.e Threshhold is an RPI mud, and there's a few RPI mushes - I listed them on an earlier thread). But most importantly the quality of role-playing on an RPI mud is not any better nor more intensive than a non-RPI role-playing mud, as opposed to it certainly being better than a typical hack-n-slash mud.