View Single Post
Old 06-13-2007, 04:53 AM   #4
KaVir
Legend

Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough
Self-acclaimed "hardcore roleplayers" often object to hard-coded systems, with combat being one of their prime targets.  Unlike combat, however, pregnancy isn't something that people can force on you (well I suppose they could, but I doubt any serious mud developers would want to walk such a contraversial path).  Assuming the system is consent-based, it's not going to impact you unless you want it to.

In the original God Wars mud I had a fully hard-coded system, which included a sex minigame (complete with an exp reward for achieving a simultaneous orgasm), pregnancy and childbirth (children had their own player file with the mother's password and the average stats of the two parents, resulting in many female characters actively looking for powerful 'studs') and marriage (a way to ensure your other half wasn't unfaithful).  I've discussed this system before (such as ), and there are around a hundred GodWars muds using it, so I won't bother going into more detail.

While the system certainly resulted in many entertaining situations, it also changed the entire social dynamic of the mud, which caused a major impact on the "feel" of the game.  Explicit sex, like gratuitous violence, can easily overwhelm the mud and become the central focus of the game if not handled with care.  As a result, I made the conscious decision not to have sex, pregnancy or childbirth in God Wars II.
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote