View Single Post
Old 06-15-2007, 11:22 AM   #14
Spoke

Spoke is on a distinguished road
Does anybody remember 'Age of Reptiles'?, in that game there was a hard-coded 'pregnancy', female dinosaurs were able to lay eggs and there was a chance for the egg to be fertile. The actual process was controlled by very few commands (I never got to try it so I report from the help files, because it was a skill you had to obtain through becoming an alpha male). As a skill, the more you had used it the better you were at it and the higher the chance for the egg to be fertile.

The point of this is that the whole process was hard-coded yet it was controlled by very few commands, letting players focus their attention in the actual process, building the nest, etc through role-play and having the actual event occur through the (you could say 'not necessarily realistic' code).

Anyway, I do believe that different levels of detail are possible in different aspects and different MUDs, I actually believe that exactly this is what can set apart two MUDs originating from the same code-base. At the end, anybody playing MUDs is not looking for a real-life experience, come-on, you are playing a text game, so, it just makes sense that there are going to be aspects of the game that will be more or less 'realistic' without that implying anything on the game as a whole.
Spoke is offline   Reply With Quote