View Single Post
Old 08-07-2007, 03:13 AM   #13
Muirdach

Home MUD: Karinth
Muirdach is on a distinguished road
Re: What to do about old content?

Isn't there at least a player or three who objects to absolutely anything you do if it doesn't directly benefit them?

It's a judgement call, really, based on just how much you feel this bad area pulls down the rest of the game (if at all). Personally I wouldn't sacrifice the integrity of the area package just to avoid some complaints, but if you feel that it could be a major issue, a good idea might be what Sanvean suggested: make it an event, tie it into the storyline so at least they can be a part of things and enjoy it one last time, rather than waking up and finding it gone. I know different games having different ways of working, but I feel as though it is good for MUDs to evolve and be in a state of flux, rather than be static with the same old things there for years. I would say, just remember that you're not thinking for your current players, but for your potential players too: if you keep it in order to make 2 players happy, and by doing so you discourage 5 new players from playing, it isn't such a good deal, you know? People are going to complain if their favourite area goes, but on the other hand are unlikely to praise if an area they feel didn't fit, disappeared. It doesn't mean that no one appreciates it.
Muirdach is offline   Reply With Quote