View Single Post
Old 12-05-2007, 01:40 AM   #7
Muirdach

Home MUD: Karinth
Muirdach is on a distinguished road
Re: Superstitious Players

When I played Threshold years ago (like, 6-7 years?) someone famous told me that and I believed it. I used to get very worried whenever I got on the boat, hoping it would get to the other side as fast as possible, even if I was the only one on it. That's one thing I loved about the game - not being paranoid, but the fact that so much stuff was player created and there was no helpfile to tell you what was rumour and what was fact.

Most superstitions I've seen on many games are about leveling gains, due to their importance to people. I've heard that it's best to level: when hungry, thirsty, full, sleepy, rested, resting, invisible, not fighting, when you get the killing blow, when you kill a monster that's a higher level than you, when you level during double exp, when it isn't double exp, if you kill a mob that isn't the same race as you, when you don't have the sanctuary spell on, by killing with a melee hit even if you're a mage, by killing with magic, by leveling via a quest rather than combat, when it's your character's birthday, when it's night, when it's day, when there's an eclipse...

Clearly most of those are contradictory and there's no evidence to support them, but people get a good gain, pick out some circumstances surrounding it and pass them down as fact, and there you go. I've seen people idle for hours and hours just so they can level at an "auspicious time" - and then complain that it's a bug when they get a bad gain.
Muirdach is offline   Reply With Quote