View Single Post
Old 04-18-2002, 11:37 PM   #7
The Oosil

The Oosil is on a distinguished road
Heh. Been RPing since second grade. Back ten, me and my buddies actually made our own game called Axe. We came up with most of the rules ourselves, maybe borrwing a few D&D books for ideas though. Don't remember too much about that game anymore since that was like 20 years ago, but I do recall the central figure was a sentient, omnipotent Axe. Don't ask...

Then it was ICE's Middle Earth. Then Gamma World. (loved that one alot), Star Frontiers, Star Wars, Boot Hill, D&D, Warhammer, etc. etc. etc. The list goes on and on

MUDs are actually a fairly recent discovery for me. Long since away from the friends I used to play the other games with, I just drifted away from it all together (with some resistance at first). I stumbled upon one in particular that impressed me with its playability and the fact so much was left up to the imagination. I was hooked.

Alas, this game ended up charging ridiculous fees, and I again had to take a break, or declare bankruptcy over my addiction. Decided to give the real world a shot. What a disappointment that turned out to be. heh. So, reluctantly I returned, and have not looked back since. Thankfully the price has reduced considerably and my financial security is maintained.

Why do I do this to myself? Creative outlet, I suppose. I was always more comfortable on the GM side than the player side. I thrived off grabbing a stack of graph paper and creating the most elaborate, contrived dungeuons and scenarios I could think of. More often than not though, the players would always get frustrated or bored and they rarely ended the way they should have (or ended for that matter). Which is why I would always revert to being a player occasionaly so I wouldnt lose touch with what made the game enjoyable for others.

In a way the MUD has turned into a bit of an on going experiment for me. As a writer by occassion, I have learned much from the others ive interacted with in my MUDding experience. Negative experiences always turned out to be the best once I learned to throw my pride out the door. I constantly try out new characters and combinations, and have found most of my characters thrown into all kinds of interesting situations, both GM driven scenerios and player contrived ones.

It can be frustrating at times. Infuriating as well. Several times I have had to step away from the computer for weeks at a time just to maintain my compsure, or to combat burnout. But it is a wonderful distraction. Addiction, if you will. I work 40-50 hours a week. I have a side business as well. I play online an average of 5-10 hours a day, 5-10 days a week with various characters. Between the game and my job(s) I am on one computer or another an average of 10-15 hours a day, yet somehow have found a way to have a life as well. Not much of one, granted, but my side job actually forces me into social situations quite often.

Guess I'll sleep when I'm dead.

The Oosil is Dead!
Long live the Oosil!
The Oosil is offline   Reply With Quote