View Single Post
Old 09-21-2009, 05:02 PM   #11
Delerak

Name: Dan
Delerak is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Delerak Send a message via AIM to Delerak Send a message via MSN to Delerak Send a message via Yahoo to Delerak
Re: What are the differences between a MUD and a MUSH?

You're assuming that players are not going to roleplay on a MUD the way they would on a MUSH? Just because you limit the code of the MUSH doesn't mean you're going to get people to roleplay anymore then they would on a MUD. It also depends on your definition of roleplay. To me, I can't roleplay unless I have code backing me up. How can my threat to choke you mean anything to a player if I can't actually make good on it? Or if I want to play a prank and throw something at them, I have to emote it, yet there is no code to support whether the object lands? Even if there is code to support some things, the code should support nearly every action you could take against another player.

For example, if I want to grab a player, there should be a command to grab them so they can't move. Of course they would make a save against this, and the code would do the work. You can roleplay as much as you want, but when the time comes for the actual grab to occur, the code is there for that. Far more realistic, far more fun, and far more like a real life encounter. MUShes are far too much like a fantasy realm where nothing can really happen unless a Dungeon Master comes around and says to roll a d20 and see who wins the dice toss. They just don't have that "real" feel to them because there is hardly any code backing up the exemplary roleplay of a player.

This applies to every mud though. Which is why I only play certain types of muds which I won't mention here.
Delerak is offline   Reply With Quote