View Single Post
Old 01-16-2006, 09:12 AM   #370
The_Disciple

The_Disciple is on a distinguished road
That's only apparent to you because you decided what the answer was before you started reading anything.

Someone breaks the cost down earlier in this thread. I'm inclined to believe he's roughly correct.

MUDs draw different kinds of players. For the kind of person Bartle would classify as a socializer, I'm sure pay-for-perk MUDs are truly free to play. For the kind of person he would have classified as a killer, which is to say, a competitive player focused on PvP, free-to-play-but-pay-to-compete is anything but.

Let's say I told you tomorrow I would fly you to the Indy 500, pay for your accomodations, and you could compete in the race -- but you weren't allowed to have a car unless you gave me a million dollars. You'd have to 'race' on foot. One kind of person is going to thank their lucky stars that they get to go to the race for free. Another person might only be embittered, realizing that while they were technically offered the chance to compete for free there was essentially no chance of their winning the race.

That's where you see the disconnect in this thread.
The_Disciple is offline   Reply With Quote