View Single Post
Old 01-18-2006, 10:14 AM   #145
Valg

Home MUD: Carrion Fields
Valg will become famous soon enough
Accurate disclosure and labeling of games. TMS is a better resource for MUD players if it provides that information than if it doesn't. More information is more gooder.

Any claims of "discrimination because someone's figured out how to make money" are based on nothing I've said. I'm not some "money is bad" commune-dweller. For example, I've had nothing but positive things to say in these threads about Threshold's business model (which has a mandatory fee as well as a pay-for-perks system), because they accurately label it for what it is.

I've also stated up front that I have a vested interest in this: I help run a 100% free game. Currently, TMS only allows games to self-identify as "Pay To Play" or the absence thereof. That means a lot of commercial games get lumped in with our nonprofit enterprise, which dilutes the effectiveness of us telling people we're "free". IRE's business model is very different from ours, but TMS doesn't display that information.

We'd like a system that tells players the truth: Playing some games doesn't involve money (Carrion Fields). Playing other games often involves money (IRE). Playing still other games always involves money (Threshold).
Valg is offline   Reply With Quote