View Single Post
Old 05-04-2012, 02:23 PM   #6
SnowTroll

SnowTroll will become famous soon enough
Re: What do you look for in a mud?

I go a step farther. Nobody should be required or forced into interacting with anybody in a manner they don't want to, or required to enage in "actively roleplaying" if they just want to play the game. But an in-character enforced environment means more than just "not out of character." Each player has to agree to be part of the immersive game world. An in character part of that world. That means more than just not talking ooc when my character comes across yours.

There are non-rp muds out there, and honestly, most of them are full of great features and lots of fun. When you sign into a roleplaying mud, you did so for a reason. If you're just there to ruin the atmosphere for everybody by playing the mechanical game and peeing all over the roleplaying game, there are countless other muds. It's not like these muds were non-rp at first, you got into them, then suddenly the games changed to require rp and you were stuck. You knowlingly signed into a roleplaying game. So some part of you wants to roleplay, or at least part of you is considering trying it out, or at least watching others do it.

For me, it's all or nothing. A mud is either a roleplaying mud or it's not. That doesn't mean forced "active roleplaying" for people who don't feel like interacting with others in that way right now. But I can't abide by a mud that's just RP accepted/encouraged, where a good portion of the world just plain doesn't roleplay, and I have to tune out half the mud and focus on the three or four people who decided to join my small "roleplaying club" within this larger non-roleplaying mud.
SnowTroll is offline   Reply With Quote