View Single Post
Old 11-20-2003, 09:06 AM   #20
Jazuela

Jazuela will become famous soon enoughJazuela will become famous soon enough
A parallel can be drawn I think between Pleos' vision of the so-called "one-dimensional" high elf and elves in Arm.

(Sorry, typing "the game I play" every few sentences is silly so I'm gonna name it.)

In Arm, elves are thieves. All of them. You might as well just consider it a genetic trait, like being born with eye sockets is a genetic trait. Now, this might seem one-dimensional to people who don't take time to consider all the possible nuances of being a thief.

You can have a pick-pocket/cutpurse, or a burglar, or a schemer, a scammer.. a spy who steals information from his mark and sells it to the highest bidder... a scavenger who lifts the spoils of battle from the dead and sells it off to survive. A jeweler who makes quick and easy bracelets and sells them to suckers for far more than their actual value...

Stealing isn't just using the coded "steal object" bit, though that's certainly one type of theft. An elf can even woo a woman with flattery to steal her virginity.. anything that allows an elf to get more than he gives could be construed as thiefly behavior.

So a high elf in Pleos' game can be good, but there are so many WAYS to be good that you could spend several real-life years exploring them and still not touch on half.
Jazuela is offline   Reply With Quote