Thread: Time and You
View Single Post
Old 10-13-2005, 08:44 AM   #42
Riga

Riga is on a distinguished road
I don't know that I'd say it's too complex, but I do think that it would take some getting used to. Just as when you log into a new game, it takes a while to start translating the information rapidly, looking at that map doesn't immediately make sense. After looking at it for a while, I can interpret it and see the advantage in it.

Advantage admitted, I still have the problem that I don't like ASCII representations of anything in a game. I play text games because I like words. ASCII representations just seem so woefully clunky and...ugly. To me it would be like reading through a great novel to flip the page and find the author had tried to draw a picture of the next scene through ASCII art. Of course, I'm more interested in the textual and roleplaying aspects of a game than the actual gameplay.

All of -that- being said, I'll congratulate you on another impressive feature. Handling weather is a hard thing. When I staffed on Armageddon, realistic weather systems and how to make them an interactive feature for the playerbase (prediction, navigation, cycles, almanac type stuff) came up frequently because weather is such a large part of the game. It would really add to the game if player-based meteorology was a possibility.
Riga is offline   Reply With Quote