View Single Post
Old 12-14-2003, 11:30 AM   #52
AngelaChristine

AngelaChristine is on a distinguished road
I don't understand what the problem is.  Someone is creating a discussion forum for admins of big MUDs.  So what?  A place for people who run medium to large MUDs to talk about running medium to large MUDs.  If you don't run a big MUD, why do you care so much about being excluded?  They aren't saying that people who run MUDs are better than people who play MUDs, or that big MUDs are better than little MUDs, at least I haven't seen that.  I don't think running a big MUD is necessarily harder (or easier) than running a small one, it is just different.

I don't admin a MUD, but I do have an aquarium, or rather four aquariums.  I sometimes read aquarium discussion groups.  There are some that are for everybody that keeps fish, any kind of fish.  Then there are specialized ones for people that have tropical freshwater aquariums, "room temperature" freshwater aquariums (mostly goldfish), tiny mini-aquariums (under 10 gallons), saltwater aquariums, brakish aquariums, and outdoor ponds.  There are probably forums for people that run gigantic or commercial aquariums (places like Sea World) but I haven't seen them.  

Sure, people that have a big 200 gallon home aquariums may seem to have a higher status than people with a few guppies living in a 2 gallon mini-aquarium, but anyone that really understands aquariums knows that it is a false perception.  All you really need to run a big 200 gallon aquarium is money, the ability to move a couple hundred pounds of glass, and a floor that that can support the 2000+ pounds the aquarium will weigh once it is full.  A big aquarium takes longer to set up, but once it is running it is very stable and the sheer volume of water provides a buffering effect.  The small under-10 gallon aquariums that are often sold to newbies actually take much more skill and care to run successfully, and by succsessfully I mean the fish don't get stressed, sick, or die.  Trying to keep a single goldfish alive in a fishbowl is insanely difficult, and probably impossible in the long term, because goldfish are very messy fish and they get pretty large if they don't die in the first year or two.  With the small aquariums and fishbowls even a small mistake or something beyond your control like a short power outtage or your municipality changing what additives the put in the water supply can easily stress or kill your fish.  The margin for error is razor thin.  Which unfortunately means that many newbies who buy one of these small starter kits will have bad experiences and give up fishkeeping.  A newbie with a 5 gallon explorer tank won't contribute much to a discussion of 100+ gallon tanks, and (perhaps more importantly) they won't get much out of it because much of what is true for a 100+ gallon tank is not true for a 5 gallon tank.  

Likewise, the problems facing a MUD that routinely has 200 players active simultaniously will be different than the problems a MUD with 20 players.  That doesn't mean the 200 player MUD is better, just different.  There are plenty of well established, long running small MUDs that do not want to become huge MUDs.  If some guy in a black trenchcoat told them they could have 2000+ players just by taking the red pill, they would say no, because their goal was a 20 player MUD and they are exquisitly happy with themselves for achieving and maintaining it.  The large MUDs aren't a better or higher level of MUDdom, the are just a particular niche with particular concerns.  That certainly doesn't mean the people who run large MUDs feel disdain or contempt for others, and it is silly to assume they do.

Angela Christine

ps.  If you or someone you know wants to get into keeping an aquarium, start with at least a 20 gallon model.  A 20 gallon aquarium isn't much more expensive than those cute plastic 5 gallon models, but it is -much- easier to maintain.  And you can have more or larger fish, so in the long run it will probably be more satifying too.  If you really, really want something tiny, get a betta rather than a goldfish. Like goldfish bettas can survive at room temperature, but they actually prefer to live alone and they won't outgrow the bowl.
AngelaChristine is offline   Reply With Quote