View Single Post
Old 12-28-2007, 06:02 AM   #63
Aeran

Aeran is on a distinguished road
Re: Reaching out beyond text MUDs

Who knows . Is that how you in general see WoW players(and I assume other graphical mmrpg players as well)?

I agree that GUI Muds won't replace text Muds. What I mean is that they'll simply continue dominate them. We can laugh at voice chat but you need to remember that these things are in their beginning and it will become more advanced.

Your three comparisons are all related to roleplay. While roleplay can be good to encourage is it really something that draws a lot of players? You say roleplay on these mmrpgs is poor, but is that really the case?

Looking at I noticed that, assuming I read the table correctly, the roleplaying realms of WoW are quite popular. It is possible what they are calling roleplay there is some silly odd "roleplay". Still I would be careful with underestimating them.

About case (4) I am not sure if targetting that group is something to be that very proud of. These are people who play text MUDs because they can't use any other alternative without getting caught gaming on work time, or because their computers are too poor to run any "advanced" games. The MUD might be their last resort.

Last edited by Aeran : 12-28-2007 at 06:43 AM.
Aeran is offline   Reply With Quote