View Single Post
Old 10-29-2009, 03:25 AM   #3
drakkos

Home MUD: Epitaph
drakkos is on a distinguished road
Re: Muds in Education

I've made the attempt to set up a teaching MUD a number of times in a number of institutions - I managed to get broad approval from my colleagues on the idea, but the neccessary approval from IT never came through. Such is the way of university politics, alas.

If you're interested in the case I made, then you can find the presentation/handouts at and . I was Young and Callow back then, so they're a bit rough. Still, they were the basis of the argument I made.

My own choice was to use FluffOS and the Discworld mudlib to drive the MUD, mainly because I was already highly familiar with it, but also because there was reasonably solid introductory material available for allowing people to create areas, monsters, weapons and so forth. The updated and much more recent version of that is available at .

I still want to set up a teaching MUD because I believe it's a great environment in which to learn code. My plans are for it to be an extra thing rather than built into the course, but I'd be interested to hear how it works out if attempted.

Regards,
Drakkos.
drakkos is offline   Reply With Quote