Thread: Rivers of blood
View Single Post
Old 08-14-2003, 10:21 AM   #5
OnyxFlame

OnyxFlame is on a distinguished road
I rarely actually kill anything on the mud I play, but I'd hate to not be able to do so if I wanted to. I like having killing as a choice, because sometimes it's the only realistic thing to do in a situation (we're talking RP mud here btw). A few more comments...

DM is annoying in that it's perfectly kosher to kill any wandering npc, although people get ****ed if you kill shopkeepers and such. I don't think this fits too well with what's supposed to be an RP mud, however I don't know how it'd work if there weren't specific npc's that you have to spar to learn combat skills. Sure it's more fun to fight other players anyway, but what about those people who live in Outer Indogia and can only log on when no one else is even awake? This is something I need to consider with my own mud...

Armageddon I think gets rid of the "kill everything that moves" mentality pretty effectively. Not only is it not kosher to kill an npc just because it's there, it's not kosher to repeatedly attempt to rob some npc, because they have what's known as "vnpc's" (or virtual npc's) which don't actually exist but are assumed to be wandering around going about their business and noticing stupid things that players do.

As for the boringness of combat itself, I'm trying to figure out a way of doing it that'd make me actually WANT to play a fighter, but it might take a while and my ideas may be totally off base...bleah.
OnyxFlame is offline   Reply With Quote