View Single Post
Old 05-06-2008, 10:17 AM   #10
Jazuela

Jazuela will become famous soon enoughJazuela will become famous soon enough
Re: When do you stop reading?

Note from Jazuela - that's important to me and would actually be a "deal-breaker." I'm glad you clarified!

1) How much are you willing to read before you get into the game?

It depends on the nature of the game. Some games are made such that you can jump in and start, and find out what you need to know as you go along. Other games require that you check out a lot of documentation. If it's a "jump right in" game, then I won't be willing to read too much. If it's a documentation-heavy game, then I'm willing to read plenty.

2) About how much text are you okay with seeing before you decide "That's just too much; I'm not reading it."?

It depends on how well it's presented. Page after page of text, as though it were a novel, will turn me off after the first couple of paragraphs. Easily-found categorized links with cross-references to help files inspire me to read more. It also depends on the color, oddly enough. Funky color is a turn-off (such as fuscia and orange - I've actually seen that combo on a website. YUCK).

3) Are you more interested in knowing about the lore before you get into the game or after you get into the game?

I'd like to have some understanding of the lore before going in, so I don't make too many grievous errors my first day (trying to RP a bearded dwarf in a game where all dwarves are hairless, or trying to RP my elf as a drow, in a game where the elves are the "topsider" nobility, and only humans live in caves, for a couple of examples).

4) Is the lore more important to you at first (while you're developing your character), or are you more interested in knowing about the mechanics?

Both are equally important, however if the lore is intriguing, I'd create a character whose goals and interests revolve less around mechanics, so I don't have to worry about them as much.

5) Do you rely on intuition or accessible docs first?

I rely equally on both.

6) What will make you simply stop reading?

a) No link to help files. If I have to log into the game and plop my character down idle while I try to sort through in-game helpfiles, I'm not likely to bother ever logging in at all.

ii) Lengthy, novel-like diatribes that tell me more about the world than I need to know, yet are "required" if I want to play. If it's something that I as a player am required to know about, I'd rather just see it listed, succinctly, without the added drama. Such as a time-line to explain that humans aren't a playable race because they were eradicated when a giant demon came with his minions and blew them all to smithereens 450 years ago. Since my character wouldn't have been there at the time, and would not know the details of the event, then I shouldn't have to read the novella just to grasp the main facts of the situation.

The novella would be great as an option for people who like reading them. But the facts should -also- be made available in easier-to-read lists/timelines/FAQs.
Jazuela is offline   Reply With Quote